Saturday, November 7, 2009

Act 1

Freedom Bridge is an overpass in-between the gates of Camp Murray and Madigan Army Medical Center/Fort Lewis in Washington. It has been adorned with ribbons, flags, stickers, and flowers for several years by a group of regulars who are come out to wave flags and express their gratitude to the service members coming and going every Saturday.

Today was a typical fall day in the Northwest. It was incredibly cold, rainy, and windy outside. I hate taking my daughter out in this weather. We not only needed to go on post this morning, but we needed to be on post and dressed up. When we were back in the car and exiting Madigan gate, I spotted two of the Saturday regulars out waving their flags. They both looked about 60+ years old. Although they were soaked, they both were wearing enormous grins and waving their flags. Here was Act 1 right in front of me. Chloe and I headed the McDonalds, bought two hot coffees, and we delivered them to the two kind souls spreading joy on an otherwise nasty day. As I rolled down the window, with the rain and wind blowing inside, it warmed my heart to see the huge smile on this nice man’s face.

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Wish I had thought of it. Fully intend to copy you in some endeavor of my own. You're completely right: what do our children have if they don't have compassion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    I saw those two kind souls today too. That man had the biggest, brighest smile on his face even though he was standing in the pouring rain.

    Good luck on your endeavor. I think you're off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, through your blog you will have generated many more acts of kindness, they always spread. What a wonderful endeavor you are undertaking!

    "All the problems in the world...are symptoms of a spiritual disease, lack of compassion" - Dalai Lama

    ReplyDelete