Thursday, December 3, 2009

Act 10

I think most people were shocked when they read about the horrific shootings at the Lakewood Forza. I felt guilty that although I felt horrible for the police officers and their families, I wasn’t surprised that it happened. My very first memory of Lakewood occurred right after I moved here. It involved a trip to Target where a guy jumped at me as I left my car and asked for money. I said sorry, and he proceeded to follow me into the store. About a year later, one of my students watched an apartment complex shooting. Shortly after that, another one of my students was mugged. Then there was the Walmart shooting/murder. There was the man from Lakewood who murdered the woman at the PX as well. I try to avoid going to Lakewood, because the city seems to be a haven for criminal activity. Today, I wanted to pay my respects for the fallen police officers. Even before we made it past the Lakewood Forza, tears welled up in my eyes. I dropped off some cranberry bread and a thank you note with the police officers working near the large and growing memorial. I hope that things can change in Lakewood. May the officers who died rest in peace. My heart hurts for the spouses and children they left behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment