Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Act 19

I’ve been a bad blogger, but the combination of Christmas travels and post-holiday exhaustion have now passed. I’m ready to get back to work.

Chloe and I spent our Christmas in Oregon with family. If you’ve ever been through the Portland area I’m sure you remember all of the beggars. There are beggars on every on and off ramp throughout Portland and its suburbs and covering every corner of the downtown area. For the last few years, I’ve had a cold heart towards these people. When I was in college my dad and I spotted the beggar from our onramp driving his car through the Taco Bell drive thru. I had seen all of the news reports about the large amounts of money these beggars make and how many of them were con-artists, but it was hard to witness.

When I was getting packed to leave, we had an extra plate full of cakes. I decided to take them with me and give them to a homeless person. Although, I think there are probably many people “acting” for pay, I feel like something still isn’t right with these people. Your life couldn’t be that good if you’re standing outside in thirty degrees Fahrenheit, begging for money or food, on Christmas Eve. When I handed the beggar my plate of goodies his fate lit up in a beautiful toothless grin. He ripped into the plastic wrap before my light even turned green, to continue traveling through the intersection. As my car passed him, he gave me a big smile, thumbs up, and mouthed thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment